Civil War Medicine
| K-12 Objectives | Materials
Needed | Procedures | Assessment
- Access multiple primary sources to compare and contrast differing sets of
ideas, values, personalities, behaviors, priorities, and institutions.
- Search a comprehensive database for reference to a specific topic
- Consider multiple perspectives of various peoples in the past by demonstrating
their differing motives, beliefs, interests, hopes, and fears.
- Discover the common causes of death, sickness, and wounds of the soldiers
- Create a Venn diagram which illustrates similarities and differences between
the Union and Confederate soldiers' experiences of hospitals and medicine
- Synthesize ideas and findings into a letter from a soldier's perspective
National History Standards:
Standards in Historical Thinking
2: Historical Comprehension
4: Historical Research Capabilities
Era 5: Civil War and Reconstruction
National Council for the Social
People, Places, and Environment
Individual Development and Identity
for Technology and Teacher Education, University of Virginia.
idea for this module came from Kimberly Bareford and was modified by